JACOB B. LINN is one of Shelby County's honored citizens and an ex-soldier. He was born in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, March 16, 1839. He is a son of James, a soldier of the war of 1812, and Nancy (Hooker) Lynn [(Booher) Linn]. He is the youngest of seven children. He received a fair education in the public schools of Pennsylvania, and was attending college in order to gain an education that would be sufficient for a profession, when the war broke out. In answer to Lincoln's call for 50,000 men he, in company with seven class-mates, enlisted, April 23, 1861, in the Eighth Pennsylvania Reserves, Company F. He intended to enlist for three months, but he served three years in the same regiment. He was under fire at Gainesville and took an active part in the second battle fought on the Potomac, and in the seven days' fight on the Peninsula; he was taken prisoner June 27, 1861, and sent to Libby Prison; he spent sixty days here and at Belle Isle, experiencing all the horrors of these terrible prisons. After his discharge he was unfit for duty and was sent to the United States hospital in New Jersey, but he took French leave and joined his regiment at Sharpsburg, Maryland. He took an active part at Sharpsburg, Antietam, battle of Fredericksburg under General Burnside, the battle of the Wilderness and in the seven days' battle before Richmond. He was honorably discharged at Spottsylvania Court-House, and mustered out of the service at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, May 23, 1864, as Sergeant. He returned home and took charge of his two brothers' farms, they still being in the service. He was married October 7 , 1864, to Hester Ann Chilcote, of Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Alva and Catharine (Booker) [(Booher)] Chilcote. He lived in Pennsylvania until 1874, when he came to Shelby County. He settled on wild land and was one of the first on the prairie; he improved his land in good style, and has a substantial house, and barn for stock and grain. The farm consists of 120 acres of rich land, two and a half miles from Shelby. Mr. and Mrs. Linn have seven children, six sons and one daughter--Ambrose B., McKindre, Anna Laura (a successful teacher), Monroe, Walter M. C., Franklin, and Hugh L. Mr. Linn is a Republican. He has served as township clerk for three years, as a member of the school board, and is the present assessor of the township. He has filled all these offices with credit to himself and to the best interest of the public. He is a member of the G. A. R., Dick Yates Post, No. 364; was a charter member of the first post of Shelby County. He is a member and class-leader of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. Linn and four children are also members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Linn has ever taken an active part in religious and educational affairs, and is always a liberal supporter of any enterprise that has for its object the advancement of the best interests of the community. He is cordial to all, upright in business, and one of Shelby County's most valuable citizens.
[Text from "Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon Counties, Iowa," 1889, p. 520]
[Corrections to the original text that I know about are shown in red]